Translate

Saturday, December 5, 2015

Schoolhouse Rock Taught Me that Knowledge is Power!

And the Bible has taught me that I shall know the truth, and the truth shall set me free (John 8:32). That being said, please allow me to shed some light on a particular subject…..

I believe in the Constitution of the United States; I always have. But, I’ve never quite understood the dynamics of why it says what it says; nor have I ever understood what it all meant.

So, I’ve decided to become a bit more familiar with it….starting with the 2nd Amendment; in my research, I’ve also discovered that 1 out of every 3 American citizens owns at least one firearm. One-third of the entire population of this country is exercising their right to bear arms. Or are they??

I shared this on my personal Facebook page, today….


Before I shared it, I read it; and my mind was sufficiently blown! When I learned about the Constitution of the United States, in school, I was never taught what the term “well-regulated militia” meant.

The 2nd Amendment reads……

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

I was taught that this was about the rights of the American citizen; and never questioned that, until now.

Through the years, I’ve noticed that most citizens of this country tend to focus more on the part that says “the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed”, and proverbially beat their chests at the thought of our government denying us the right to own a firearm.

They cry, “Molon Labe!” (come and get them!) believing themselves to be noble, patriotic Americans who are protecting their 2nd Amendment rights. But most of them have conveniently forgotten the part about the well-regulated militia…which is, according to Chief Justice Warren Burger, the very “people” this amendment is referring to!

But, what is a militia?? Webster says….

1 (a.) a part of the organized armed forces of a country liable to call only in emergency. (b.) a body of citizens organized for military service
2 the whole body of able-bodied male citizens declared by law as being subject to call to military service

The only people who come close to that definition, in America, are local police forces and the actual military (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard, etc). The Constitution of the United States does NOT grant us ordinary, run-of-the-mill citizens the right to own a firearm; the people whose rights “shall not be infringed” are those who are in the militia.

How does it feel, knowing that one-third of the United States of America is in violation of the Constitution? I am now sufficiently worried for our tired, our poor, and our huddled masses.

How can we call ourselves the Land of the Free, when we don't even bother to obey the rules that secure our freedom??




No comments:

Post a Comment