Translate

Thursday, February 21, 2013

The Body's Own Balancing Act


I recently posted a blog called “Clean Eating to Fight Cancer”. In this blog I listed foods which are alkaline forming, and also acid forming to the body. It’s very important that the body maintain a balanced pH, to avoid diseases and other health related conditions. I’ll explain why.

Acidosis is a condition of the body where the pH balance is too acidic; there’s too much acid in the body’s fluids. Our body's become too acidic, when we consume too many products from the Acidic Foods list. Things like animal flesh (beef, chicken, lamb, seafood, etc), condiments, coffee, alcohol, and medications (over the counter & prescription) create an acidic environment in our bodies.

Acidosis can cause health concerns such as obesity, diabetes, cancer, infections, hormone imbalance, chronic fatigue, depression, headaches, anxiety, gastritis, and osteoporosis, among others. If the body can't get rid of the excess acid, it stores it in the body's fatty tissue. And without a proper acid/alkaline balance, the body cannot heal itself.

Alkalosis, on the other hand, is a condition of the body where the balance is tipped too far, the other direction; the body has too much alkali in the fluids. Arrhythmia, coma, lightheadedness, nausea, involuntary muscle spasms and an electrolyte imbalance are all possible complications of alkalosis. However, these complications could be signals of other issues, so it's always best to see your doctor, if you experience any of them.

So, how do you maintain a balanced pH? It's been said that a proper balance is anywhere between 7.36 and 7.44, although many researchers believe the range should be smaller. In order to maintain a proper balance, we need to be consuming foods at a ratio of 8:2 - 80% alkaline forming to 20% acid forming.

As much of an issue as this is for me, at this time, God is good!! My sister tells me that when the weather breaks, and it gets warmer, she's going to clean out a fridge that's in the garage; she says I can use it, to make the transition from omnivore to vegetarian easier for me! Looking forward to having my own refrigerator full of fruits and veggies, non-dairy milks, and all things yummy!! I'll also be able to experiment more with recipes, because I'll have more available to me. Super excited for spring to get here!! LOL!

Do any of you have a favorite vegetarian dish? Let me know, in the comments! Have a great day, and God bless!! oxoxox


No comments:

Post a Comment