Translate

Monday, February 18, 2013

Welcome to the World of Food Allergies

My sister had said that, the day I found out I couldn't eat certain foods, because of the way they would affect my body. She's allergic to citric acid, so she knows all about avoiding "offending" foods!

I posted a series of Notes, on Facebook, with that statement as the title; they were originally posted on October 12, 14, and 18, 2012...but I wanted to share them with you, as well. I'm going to include all three of those posts in this Blog post.

I hope this gives you some insight....


(originally posted - Oct 12, 2012)


My sister, Deborah Ochsenbein, said that to me, the other day. She's right, though...I have a serious food allergy; the worst symptom of my food allergy is commonly known as Estrogen-receptive Breast Cancer. I'm learning, through research, that it's brought on by what's called an estrogen overload/dominance; this is when the body has more estrogen than progesterone/testosterone. The excess of estrogen goes haywire, and as it continues to build, it forms tumors in the breast tissue.

I spoke to a Dietician, yesterday, and was given some advice...stear clear of foods that are high in phytoestrogens, like soy; she told me that as long as the soy is fourth, or further down, on the list of ingredients I should be fine. Previous research led me to discover that almost everything packaged, bottled or canned (convenience foods) has soy in it. And, in continuing my research, and I have also discovered that there are quite a few whole foods that are rich in phytoestrogens....alfalfa, apples, barely, cherries, chickpeas, black eyed peas, eggs, oats, olives, papaya, plums, pomegranates, potatoes, kidney beans, black beans, peanuts, oilseeds (sunflower seeds, rapeseed, canola, safflower, flaxseed, mustard seed), wheat, licorice, beets, carrots, cucumbers, eggplant, garlic, peas, pumpkin, peppers, dates and yams are now off my list, as well!

It's a bit overwhelming, but the alternative....being sick, and eventually dead....is more overwhelming than having to cut out specific foods from my daily intake. I'd rather battle this disease by living a healthy life, than by spending time in "The Chemo Chair" being poisoned. So, I'll take my "Available Foods" list with me, when I go grocery shopping; and I'll read every label I come in contact with! I'm also going to have to start buying organic, grass-fed meats and poultry...factory farms feed their livestock hormones, to get them to grow bigger. Can't have a hormonally balanced internal system, if I'm stuffing myself full of hormone-laced meat!

I'm a big girl....I'll get over my limits!! God can't use me, if I'm dead!!

Common Symptoms of Estrogen Overload
PMS
Migraines
Mood Swings
Cramps
Uterine Fibroids
Depression
Unexplained Weight Gain
Fatigue
Osteoporosis
Insomnia
Allergies
Memory Loss
Acne
Hot Flashes
Thinning Hair
Irregular Periods
Breast Tenderness
Miscarriage
Low Sex Drive
High Blood Pressure
Facial Hair
Inflammation
Foggy thinking
Water retention and bloating

I've had to deal with a number of these symptoms, for about 25 years, and no doctor I ever explained them to even once mentioned that I might have a hormone imbalance! If you have any of these symptoms, please bring them to your doctor's attention...and have him/her run tests on you, to see if you have a hormone imbalance!!

I also wanted to share some info I found about products....

Plastic containers have a chemical known as bisphenol-A, a potent xenoestrogen (substance that mimics estrogen and binds to estrogen receptors in our body). The main concern with this type of estrogen in our environment is most prevalent when the plastic is heated, causing the bisphenol-A to leach into whatever food or liquid contained.

Almost all body care products contain one or more of the preservatives known as methyl-, ethyl-, butyl- and propylparaben. These parabens are mildly estrogenic and because they are introduced topically into our system, they go right into our bloodstream and on into our tissues and organs. Phthalates are a chemical found in most cosmetics and fragrances which have been found to have a negative effect on male and female reproductive health. PABA and 4-MBC are chemicals found in sunscreen that are also highly estrogenic.



(originally posted - Oct. 14, 2012)


If I tagged you in my last Note, please read this one, too! My daughter, Cindy Linginfelter, has asked me to post my “Available Foods” list; and so, I shall. But I wanted to touch on a few more points, before listing the foods I can still enjoy.

Everything we eat…veggies, fruits, nuts, meat, grains....has some level of phytoestrogens in them. Regardless of what we eat, we get an abundance of it, every day; however, some plant foods can inhibit the production of estrogen…hence, inhibiting an overload!

Also...as stated in the previous Note, any meat we consume that came from a factory farm, will be loaded with hormones, which can cause an imbalance in our systems. The best way to avoid that is by buying organic, grass-fed meats (and milk from grass-fed animals). Granted, you’ll spend a bit more at the grocery store…but it just might be worth saving your life!

My “Available Foods” is a small list that consists of foods that inhibit estrogen, or are low in phytoestrogens. Enjoy!


Available Foods

Broccoli                                                                      Organic, grass-fed meats
Berries                                                                       Milk (from grass-fed animals)
Cabbage                                                                    White Rice
Cauliflower                                                                 Pineapples
Celery                                                                         Pears
Green Beans                                                             Citrus fruits
Kale                                                                            Mushrooms
Radishes                                                                    Buckwheat
Sweet Potatoes
Melons
Squashes
Millet
Tapioca
Radishes
Spinach
Nectarines
Lettuces
Onions
Figs, dried
Grapes
Raisins
Raspberries



(originally posted - Oct. 18, 2012)

Pardon me, while I get a little excessive with my praise, here…

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! HALELUJAAAAAAAAH; THANK YOU FATHER GOD!!! YOU ARE ALWAYS FAITHFUL, MY LORD AND KING!! I PRAISE YOU’RE FAITHFULNESS…AND GIVE YOU THE GLORY, IN MY TRIUMPH!! YOU ARE MAGNIFICENT, FATHER GOD!! YOU ALWAYS STAY TRUE TO YOUR WORD!!

(*ahem!*) Ok…now to explain my zealous display: I just got back from Chemo, and an appointment with my Oncologist. He tells me that, after next week’s Chemo treatment, I will only need more Chemo…IF I need more Chemo!! The pill I’m taking (Tamoxifen) is all I’m going to need, as I rid my body of the rest of the tumors; the three months of Chemo was just a kick-start toward getting rid of the breast cancer. It’s going to be “hormone therapy” from here on out! I should be on this pill for around 5 years.

I’m now allowed to begin taking a multi-vitamin, as well (after Chemo is done)! And, he also explained to me that, although I will need to start eating healthier after Chemo is done…I don’t have to avoid anything, but soy!! He says, as long as I’m eating healthy foods, I can have whatever I want (just nothing with soy in it).

So…here is a revised “Avoid This” list:


Anything that is boxed, bottled or canned (pre-packaged convenience foods)
Tofu
Soymilk
Edemame
Roasted Soy Nuts
Miso
Soy/Teriyaki sauce
Veggie Burgers
Vegetable Oil (yes…this is actually soybean oil)
Tempeh
Seitan
Baked goods (time to re-learn how to bake!)


I know I’m forgetting something on this list…but I’m sure you get the picture! Soy, although tooted as a “good for you” food, is not good for the body that’s prone to estrogen overload/dominance.

And again…when choosing meats (beef, poultry, pork, etc), it’s a good idea to look for  “Free Range”, and “Grass-fed” on the labels. Animals who are raised in factory farms are pumped full of hormones and other things that are poisonous to our bodies! So when you drink milk, or eat eggs, from animals that were raised “Free Range” (or Grass-fed”)…they won’t have been pumped full of hormones and other poisons.

There ya go…EAT!! Stay healthy, and well nourished!!



If you have any questions, please feel free to leave them in the comments. Have a wonderful day!! oxoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment