Translate

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Hello. My name is Melissa Lee; and I’m an Addict.


I’m what’s known as an emotional eater…I eat when I’m sad, when I’m nervous, when I’m stressed out, and even when I’m happy. I don’t eat, because my body needs nourishment…I eat because it feels good. I've struggled with this most of my life; and even more so, now that I've been diagnosed with a terminal illness.

I recently watched a video (there's an article, too), detailing how the food industry cons us into eating the things that we know aren't good for us, but we find ourselves powerless against the cravings for these things; pizza, chips, fried foods, the Value Meal, macaroni and cheese, snack cakes, soda pop, etc. They are chemically altered, on purpose, to get us addicted to them. And, I’m an addict. On this video, they interview a fellow addict, and she briefly discusses how difficult it is to abstain from all of these gloriously wonderful foods. Trust me, she’s not kidding! I encourage you to check it out!

Father God, please forgive me… I've fallen off the wagon, again! My sister said to me, the other day, “there’s no reason why you can’t enjoy a treat, once in a blue moon”. Under normal circumstances, she’d be right…one slice of pizza, one small fry, or a small handful of chips, won’t hurt at all; and everyone knows you should never deprive yourself. That’s the easiest way to fail.

Unless you’re me; the easiest way to fail, in my case, would be to indulge…even if it’s just a small amount. In my case, it would be like telling an alcoholic that one little glass of wine, with dinner, isn't going to hurt. Everyone knows, to give an alcoholic ANY alcoholic beverage…even just a sip…is to set him back in his recovery, and will cause him to fall, again. And, I've been indulging, lately.

I don’t have the will power to stop at just a small amount. I've been indulging, from time to time, because there are those things in my sister’s house…and I've noticed I've been wanting more, and more. I've got to stop! I don’t want to “die happy” as so many people have said, when faced with the responsibility of giving up their junk food…they’d rather die happy. I’d rather LIVE happy, thank you very much! And, eating any amount of junk food is a trap, for me. I've got to stop myself!!

I can feel myself slipping back into old habits…and, I don’t want to go there!! I don’t want to die from Breast Cancer!! You don’t understand….I CAN’T say “No!”, unless I don’t see it. If I know it’s there, I want it; if I want it, I’ll eat it. I've been doing pretty good, so far; but I feel like I could be doing much better. And, just because someone who loves me gives me permission to indulge on rare occasion, doesn't mean I should. Father God, I need your help!!

Here’s a picture of me, before I was diagnosed. I weighed 251 lbs. This is what giving in to those foods has done to me…because I can’t stop at just a small amount.



I had my sister take a picture of me, this morning; it's been a little over a year, between photos. The darker hair, in the first picture, was a dye job.



Today, I weight 231 lbs. I don’t think my body has changed all that much, but I feel different; and I do look smaller, in comparison.  I can sense that changes are taking place, and I don’t want to ruin that, by going back into my old habits. I want to document my weight loss, because that’s part of my recovery journey. Losing weight will help in preventing a recurrence.

Now, I don’t fault my sister for trying…she means well; and love her for trying to make sense out of a situation that clearly doesn't. But, I know what my weaknesses are, and I know what I have to do to keep from falling off the wagon, again. I also know, I can’t do this without God! In 2 Corinthians 12:9, the Bible says “And He has said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness.’ Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me.”

That’s me…I’m a weakling; a mere mortal. I know this, I’ve accepted this, and I can use this to bring glory to our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

This is a list of some of the triggers I've had to come face to face with, lately…
  •  I have Stage 4 Breast Cancer
  • My estranged husband is being difficult (Lee is my maiden name)
  •  I’m making plans to move south, but I’m not sure if I’m going to TN, or to GA (I have family in both states)
  • I also don’t know how I’m going to get there, or how I’m going to go from homeless & broke, to self-sufficient & independent
  • I want to have a job, but my doctors have me on disability, which hinders that whole independence thing
  •  I need to get to the gym, so I can lose weight; but I’m dependent on a driver who doesn't like driving in bad weather (we've had a lot of that, lately)


As you can see, there’s really not a lot for me to stress out about (LOL!). Oy! I know God never gives us more than we can handle, but sometimes I wish He didn’t have so much confidence in me! LOL!!

This too, shall pass!!


Thanks for listening today. Have a blessed day, everyone!! oxoxox


7 comments:

  1. Melissa---

    A friend pointed me to your blog, and I wanted to say that you are SO not alone. And you're absolutely right about the addictive properties of certain kinds of foods.

    I would like to point you to the website of a friend of mine, Victoria Morrison, who specializes in helping people who struggle with their eating behavior. She is highly knowledgeable, caring, and compassionate.

    If you visit the site, you'll see that Victoria offers a free e-report, and I think you may find it helpful.

    You can find her site here:

    http://lifefitnesscoaching.com/

    God bless you!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, thank you so much for that link...I'll be visiting it, soon!

      God Bless!!

      Delete
  2. How hard that must be and fighting breast cancer. Is it possible to keep the foods that are your greatest weaknesses out of the house, so when a mood comes you just cannot access them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This isn't my house...it belongs to my sister and brother-in-law. Although, I am turning them on to a healthier lifestyle, slowly; and, most of the "no-no" foods are out of sight...unless I open the freezer, or a cupboard door. So, technically, they are out of sight...I just have to get strong enough to say "no" to myself. I've begun telling myself that those foods are evil, and they'll kill me if I eat them. So far, that's working.

      Delete
  3. God Bless You, I Am An Addict of Other Things I Know What You're Going Thru. Before I was Diagnosed with a stage 4 Geoblastoma I used to a Spend My Patychecks on Booze And Drugs,
    it's sad really but the cancer was the best thing that ever happened to me. It led me to the LORD My God To Learn Of his Love For Me That HE "SENT" His "ONLY" Child To DIE For "ME" While I Was Still A Sinner. That's Love. The Lord Helped Me With My Addiction He Changed My Life For The Better! I Know How Wonderful My God I Serve Is Draw Near To Him And He Will Show You He Is Stronger Than Any ADDICTION!!! AMEN I LOVE YOU LORD

    ReplyDelete
  4. I Like alot of what you said, I was Diagnosed November Of 2010 with my Cancer, It's Funny Looking Back On It At The Time The Doctors all Acted Like I Had The Flu Or I Broke A Bone Something Simple No Big Deal They Would Tell Me. So I was Like Well I'm Ready To Get Back To Work, I Mean I Was Out Of The Hospital For Maybe 3days I Honestly Don't Think I Made It That Long And I Was Back To My Old Self Of Drinking Till I'd Pass out Heck As Soon As They Let Me Out I Lit Up A Cig. But then one day i was at one of my appointments and my Doctor Told Me They Had Finally Done The Biopsy and Found out The Cancer was a Stage 4 Glioblastoma pretty much listening to a doctor tell you, that you are going to die changes you. So My First Reaction Was Curse GOD for doing This to me and feel sorry for myself. well that was all good and fine the first 2 weeks. Then Things started to Change and I finally Opened a Bible and started I didnt know what I was looking for, I wasnt Raised in A Church Home But The More I Read The more I Wanted It Was A High I Cant Explain THE AMAZING LOVE OF JESUS I Knew right at that very moment I was not Alone and The lord had a plan for me. He Gave Me The Strenth to Throw the Booze The Beer The Drugs Everything Throw It All Away. And draw Close To Him He Changed Me I Found A Church To Go To And Ive Enjoyed Every Moment Of My Cancer Life "Except CEMO" But Even As Sick as I would get I still Found Grace To Praise My Lord. I Used To Drink Redbull Mt Dew By The Gallon I Would Eat Junk Food By The Pounds Breakfast Lunch And Dinner Snacks all of it was Junkfood Candy Bars, Chips, Snackcakes But The Lord Helped Me change my Diet Cemo Helped too all I coujd eat was Bannanas, I went from 230lbs to like 150lbs in a few months. but Im slowly gaing some of my weight back I have adopted healthier eating habbits Fresh Veggies Whole Grain Foods and Apricot Pits Natural Cemo, As of 3-15-13 it seems as my cancer is in remission Thank The Lord Is GOOD ALL THE TIME. God Bless I Know Our Lord And Saviour Will See You Thru

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome that you began a relationship with the Lord, and that you've adapted to a healthier lifestyle! I'm so proud of you for kicking your habits, too...good job!!

      I had chemo, too...I surprised everyone by gaining 23 lbs, while undergoing treatments! LOL!! Everyone was concerned about me losing my appetite...but I didn't! I also had surgery, to remove a diseased vertebrae, and recovery from that has been slow, and painful. But, the more I do...the more I'm able to do.

      While I was in the hospital, my oldest daughter prayed for my healing, and she was led to John 11:3-4 which reads...

      The sisters sent word to Jesus, saying, “So the sisters sent word to Jesus, “Lord, the one you love is sick.” When he heard this, Jesus said, “This sickness will not end in death. No, it is for God’s glory so that God’s Son may be glorified through it.” and I've been standing on that Scripture, this whole time! This disease will be for the glory of the Lord! (NIV)

      I've been standing on that Scripture, this whole time! He said I wasn't going to die from this...and I won't!!

      God bless you on your journey toward staying cancer free!!

      Delete