Translate

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Protein is Protein...Right??

Wrong! There are some major differences between animal-based proteins and plant-based proteins.


Proteins become amino acids, during the digestion process; amino acids are the building blocks of the body. The body also uses protein to make enzymes, hormones, and other body processes. The amino acids that can't be manufactured by our bodies are called essential amino acids. There are nine essential amino acids, and 12 which are manufactured by the body, itself. Here's where the differences come into play.

A complete protein is a food that contains a significant amount of all nine essential amino acids. All animal-based proteins are complete proteins...most plant-based proteins are not. There are only a hand-full of plant proteins that are considered complete.

Soy has long been considered the highest quality complete protein in the vegetable kingdom. When soy was first touted as "the" plant-based alternative to animal protein, I fell for it hook, line and sinker. I became a soy foods fanatic! Soy milk and tofu were staples, in my house...my kids didn't like the tofu, but they devoured the milk! I went out of my way to replace animal proteins with soy, and other plant-based proteins, because the powers that be said it was better for our health.

I was diagnosed with breast cancer, last year. And I'm terrified that my children (2 girls and a boy) will develop breast cancer, later on in life, because I bombarded their bodies with so much soy...I am a dethroned convenience food queen! With all the new information out about how bad convenience foods are for us, and how practically everything boxed, packaged, bottled or canned has soy in it...this Mommy is worried for her children!

Complete proteins, in the plant kingdom are found in other sources...spirulina, hemp seed, amaranth, buckwheat, and quinoa. I will never promote soy as a reliable source of ANY nutrient! Trust me!



My new best friend, Dr. David Brownstein, says soy also contains enzyme inhibitors that stop our bodies from absorbing a lot of minerals, like calcium, magnesium, zinc, molybdenum, manganese and iron. And, large amounts of refined soy (convenience foods) can cause deficiencies in Vitamins B12, D, E, and K. This information can be found in his book, "The Guide to Healthy Eating" (book review coming soon!)

When eating foods that are incomplete proteins (most plant-based proteins), it's a good idea to make sure you eat complimentary proteins, to achieve a complete protein source. You don't have to combine them in the same meal, just make sure you've eaten plenty of complimentary proteins, by the end of the day.

I've plugged myself as being a former omnivore, suggesting that I have become a vegetarian...when, in fact, I still eat meat, from time to time. I'm what's commonly known as a "flexitarian"; a vegetarian who still eats meat, on occasion. I've also learned that animals who are common herbivores will eat meat, when they need to; so, I'm ok with being a vegetarian who eats meat, once in a while! LOL!

Eating meat is the only way to ensure that the body gets an adequate amount of B12...it's not found in any plant food, unless it's been fortified with it. Vitamin B12 is a vital nutrient, in that it helps produce DNA in our bodies, helps reduce the risk of pernicious anemia, helps maintain energy levels, reduces the risk of heart disease, and so much more!

With that being said, I would also not advise become a strict vegan...B12 supplements are great; but by not eating meat at least once in a while, you will be missing out on so many other nutrients that are only found in animal flesh and animal products (milk, eggs, honey, etc).

So, for an adequate amount of protein (and other nutrients) in your diet, it is always a good idea to eat meat, or animal products; even if it's only once in a while!

Thanks for stopping by, and have a blessed day!! oxoxox


No comments:

Post a Comment