Translate

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

The Ketogenic Diet - What I've Learned

Our body's run on glucose, like a vehicle runs on gasoline; and our "tanks" have a 24-hour supply of glucose, at the ready; so, if you don't eat carbs on a regular basis, you'll run out of fuel...right?

Not necessarily! I've been researching this nutritional therapy plan, called The Ketogenic Diet, that teaches how to switch from "regular gas" to "diesel" (if you will) and still function normally, throughout the day. The Ketogenic Diet forces your body to burn fat as your primary fuel source, rather than glucose, because it's a low carb, high fat, moderate protein eating plan.

The Ketogenic Diet Pyramid


It's been said that this lifestyle plan can cure epilepsy, as well as cancer, and a host of other health issues. About 2/3 of our brain is composed of fat...specifically, fatty acids; so, the more fats, and fatty acids, you have in your diet, the better your brain will function.

As far as being the cure for cancer, it stands to reason...sugar feeds cancer cells. Carbs break down into sugars, in our bodies; so, if you limit the amount of carbs you eat, you will starve the disease. This eating plan can also help you lose weight! Simple, right?

Not if you're a caboholic, like me!! LOL! The Mayo Clinic says that a low carb diet would allow for 50g - 150g of carbs, per day. My favorite multi-grain pasta is 38g all by itself!! However, I'm planning on putting this lifestyle change to the test; incorporating what I've learned about alkalizing foods, and this eating plan, I should be able to stay cancer free! And I can't wait to be a size 10, again!! LOL!

Here's how the Ketogenic Diet works...

Ketones are a substance that your body makes, when it uses fat as your primary source of energy, rather than glucose. If you are diabetic, and choose this lifestyle, please make sure to discuss this with your doctor...too many ketones in your body could be dangerous!

Remember, back in the day, when everyone said a reduced fat diet was healthier for us?? They grouped all fats in the "dangerous" category...whether they were good fats, or bad fats. I did a Blog about the difference between fats. Not all fats are bad for you! The good ones do a lot of beneficial things to your body; the "bad" fats do, too, as a matter of fact!

A high fat diet is said to be very healthy for you, when you keep the carbs at bay. A diet high in clean saturated fats, and low in carbohydrates actually raises your good cholesterol and lowers your triglycerides, according to the Ketogenic Diet Resource page. This site lists a great deal of benefits from this particular lifestyle plan! It also has menu plans!

Now why would the powers that be tell us that all fats are bad, and we should limit our fat intake, when fats actually do a lot of good to the human condition?? Two words....Big Pharma. Whenever there's a buzz about this and that medical condition, no one stops to figure out why that medical condition exists...they just create a pill to help us "manage" those conditions. And, they even have pills to combat the side effects of the disease management drugs!! It's all about money, folks!! Believe it or not, most of the diseases and conditions we suffer from are metabolic (they happened because we don't eat properly!)

Your fats should come from high quality sources...regardless of whether it's a saturated fat, or a "good" fat. Quality is key! Eat grass-fed animal products (meat & dairy), make sure your pork products are uncured (no nitrites or nitrates), eat full fat dairy (milk, cheese, yogurt, etc). Consume LOTS of organic, non-GMO (non-starchy) veggies, and limit the amount of fruits, grains, cereals, breads, etc. that you eat.

If you're suffering from insulin resistance, the Ketogenic Diet just might be the answer to your prayers, as well!

I'm currently trying to figure out how to navigate the low carb part of this eating plan (notice I don't call it a "diet"?). Fruits are carbs; they're also anti-estrogenic (most of them). So, I'm thinking...in terms of the "low carb" part of this, I'll eat fruits as my 50g - 150g of carbs per day....cutting out rice, starchy veggies, and all grains (or maybe replacing a fruit with one of them, from time to time). I'm going to have to make sure that whatever I use in place of a piece of fruit, will be high quality, though...no corn syrup, or processed grains.

It's time to take back our lives, reverse these health issues we're being taught to manage; and live healthy, and drug free, once again!!


2 comments:

  1. I noticed that you posted "living my life cancer free" in this post. I'm starting at this post, so forgive me if I'm reading it wrong, but does that mean that you are finally cancer free? Or, are you talking in terms of the future? My son, Raymond, is just beginning his journey. I'm here to take it with him, regardless of where it leads us. We live in Davenport, Fl.; not far from Ocala at all. Bless you and keep up the faith!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My CAT Scan, next month, will reveal if I'm truly cancer free...so, my reference to being cancer free is strictly speaking in faith. The Bible says that God calls the things that are not, as though they are (Romans 4:17), so I'm calling myself cancer free, right now!! LOL!

      Delete